Our journey starts in Hukvaldy, in a village which enjoys great popularity of visitors because it provides a possibility of sight-seeing of large feudal castle or of Leoš Janáček's Monument. Visitors can participate in international music festival Janáček's Hukvaldy (in June) and other interesting actions held especially in the castle as for example Mediaeval knight festivals or traditional fair on St. Ondřej's Day etc. A wide deer-park around the castle attracts visitors to sight-seeing as well as to relaxation mostly during spring when blossoms of chestnut-trees light up tree-tops and then during autumn when the fading leaves revel by bright variety of colours and the headed fruits of chestnut-trees fall on the earth.
From Hukvaldy we set out through Dolní Sklenov, through Větřkovice to village named Lubina where we have possibility either to continue direct to the town called Kopřivnice or to set out to the town Příbor, a birthplace of famous Sigmund Freud.
The town Příbor in one of the oldest towns of the north-eastern Moravia. It spreads out on both the banks of the river Lubina. From three sides it is bordered by beautiful scenery of Beskydy foothills with view of Štramberk's trúba (Štramberk's tube), castle Hukvaldy and time-honoured Radhošť.
In 1989 it was proclaimed to be an urban conservation area. After owners of the town, lords of Huckenswagen (until 1307) a memory stayed in today's coat-of-arm - three chevrons. For example the Museum and Memorial hall of Sigmund Freud, Church of St. Valentine and many other memories that this beautiful town shelters certainly worth seeing.
From Příbor we continue on the local road along Kopřivnice in the direction of Štramberk where we meet again those who decided to set out direct to the town Kopřivnice in front of Příbor.
The town Kopřivnice became thanks to its position a crossroad of tourist roads. In the hills of Kopřivnice we find beautiful sightseeing place at Raška's stone, ruines of castle Šostýn, Jasník's small well in the Butterfly's valley, in Brdy the Bezruč's view, Monument of Master Jan Hus with old Hus's linden or Janík's valley with gamekeeper's house.
Kopřivnice is a birthplace of two importans personalities - academic illustrator Zdeněk Burian, an author of world-known illustrations from the period of primeval ages, and Emil Zátopek, multiple Olympic winner in running. Perhaps the greatest attraction for tourists are local museums. The first of them is Technical museum of TATRA with exhibition pavilion determinated for reminding of automobiles produced in Kopřivnice since 1897 to the present. The second one is museum of Reevence in which the permanent exposition of archeology and ethnography was installed.
As mentioned above, we continue from Kopřivnice on the cycle path in the direction of Štramberk, a town famous most of all for findings of Neanderthal man's remains.
Štramberk. A pictoresque small town on the slopes of the Castle hill was founded in 1359. To town and its wide surroundings the ruins of castle with cylindric tower, Štramberk's trúba, mediaeval castle supposedly from the 13th century from which only castle walls and tower were conserved dominate. Unrepeatable architectonic unique is posed by folk architecture of Wallachian timbered cottages from the 18th and 19th century. A predominant majority of them nowadays make up urban conservation area.
The most important place of local national park is without question cave called Šipka (Arrow) that brought fame to Štramberk in the scientific world.
From Štramberk our journey continues further along the small wooden church of St. Catherine to Nový Jičín. Even before we go through the village Rybí.
Village Rybí, formerly in Czech Rybník (in German texts also Reimlich), is a valley village below southern slope of Libhošť's Hůrka and northwestern slopes of Holivák, distant 5,5 km to south-east from Nový Jičín. With its position in Under-Radhošť Upland it invites to tourist walks round the countryside which is in shape very varied - a possibility of view to the Moravian gate, Jeseníky mountains, Ostrava, Hills of Hostýn, Beskydy mountains. The most important monument of the village is the Church of Retrieval of St. Cross.
From the village Rybí we set out towards the district town Nový Jičín.
In a pictoresque fold at the southern edge of the Moravian gate there is situated town Nový Jičín. Its origins coincide back to the second half of the 13th century when it was founded on the crossroad of important business roads. Its oldest part and pride is a regular, quadratic square. The town grew rich with sale of beer and wine and among its oldest monuments is ranked most of vaults located under rich taproom houses in the square. The really oldest monument of the town is however a Gothic castle of lords of Kravaře, built in the end of the 14th century. On its place a comfortable Renaissance castle grew during the 15th and 16th century, sheltering in itself a small town citadel, built in times of Turkish danger.
An extraordinary concentration of historically worth building and urban value of town district of Nový Jičín lead in 1967 to its proclamation to be an urban conservation area.
From Nový Jičín we continue on a cycle path through village Loučka in the direction of Starý Jičín.
In former times, sometimes before 1240, on a lonely hill in the Moravian gate, where an old business road lead among woods and primeval forests in the valley among peaks and where already heretofore people were settled in primeval times, a lord Arnold of Huckeswagen had a castle built that was named after market village below a hill where an amber road got out of the Beskydy primeval forests. Starý Jičín is then one of our oldest aristocratic castles at all. From the old times only ruins were preserved. In 1996 the castle tower was by municipal office adapted to hospitality facilities (castle cafe) and in the upper part of observation tower there was installed a period exposition of arms and documentation of the castle and demense.
In the village still several cultural monuments are founded, namely the Church of St. Wenceslas, stony pillory (a column of lower capital right), statue of St. Jan of Nepomuk in the square, wooden gallery leading from the municipal office to the church and other. Except a refreshment the demanding ones can in the castle visit a restaurant "Zámeček pod hradem" that reminds with its character of the surroundings of mediaeval castles and manors. In its new additional building you find a luxurious accommodation.
Our journey is further lead through smaller villages namely Starojícká Lhota, Palačov and Poruba to Hustopeče nad Bečvou. To thirsty cyclists certainly their local hospitality of refreshment of each of these villages helps. The more inquisite ones certainly appreciate several monuments predominantly of church character.
The village Hustopeče nad Bečvou is situated in the most eastern hook of the Olomouc's Region on the right bank of the river Bečva. To most important monuments of the village belongs a Renaissance castle of Hustopeče that is nowadays in rather ruined state and the Church of Elevation of St. Cross. The most valued artistic work is however a wooden pulpit from half of the 18th century as well as 14 Baroque statues at castle wall.
At close quarters of the village a holiday centre Štěrkopísky is situated along which even our cycle path leads. Those of you who take with swimsuits have here an unique possibility to refresh themselves properly during summer burning days.
After proper refreshment an overpass through the river Bečva and for somebody maybe a little uneasy gradient to the village Němetice is waiting for us, where we turn on the crossroad at the church right in the direction of Zámrsky. In this village Chapel of the Virgin Mary of Hostýn is situated here that has been standing here since 1867.
Now slightly hilly country is waiting for us that leads us through Skalička and Ústí to the village Teplice nad Bečvou. A wooden wind mill and a small bell tower from 1790 in Skalička are worth a mention.
The village Teplice nad Bečvou is situated on the left bank of the river Bečva in hilly terrain with lovely view of fold through which a river runs through. From the village you can see on a nice weather skyline of Beskydy with Radhošť and the Lysá mountain, Peaks of Hostýn and Odra. On a part of its cadastral territory spa Teplice nad Bečvou and in Europe known Aragonite caves of Zbrašov are situated whose entry was revealed direct in the territory of the village in 1912.
Now only Týn nad Bečvou is expecting us. Still before we go down to this village a near-by castle Helfštýn is worth seeing through that is ranked to the most extensive castles of Europe and is one of the best kept castle groups in the Czech Republic.
If you did not use a castle refreshment, you have a possibility to refresh yourselves in Týn nad Bečvou, a small village below the castle. A memorial plaque of Bedřich Smetana or the Church of the Virgin Mary is worth a mention.